In the Main Square is the Gothic and imposing Basilica of San Petronio built by the Municipality between 1390 and 1659. It has a portal decorated with bas-reliefs by Jacopo della Quercia, while inside there are some remarkably decorated chapels. In the left aisle, on the floor, you can see the largest sundial in the world, designed by the mathematician Giovanni Domenico Cassini and built in 1655.
Of particular interest is the church of St. Francis of the thirteenth century (although it has undergone numerous changes in the nineteenth century and after World War II), the first example of French Gothic in Italy . Coeva is the church of San Domenico, where the ark in which the remains of the saint, made by Nicola Pisano and his workshop, Nicholas Ark and Michelangelo. Adjacent to both churches are houses the tombs of the commentators.
In Piazza Santo Stefano stands the complex of Santo Stefano, also known as “The Seven Churches” due to its division into numerous churches and chapels connected by a courtyard and a cloister. The original center was built in the eighth century on a pagan temple of the second century dedicated to the Egyptian goddess Isis, which remains a lintel with a dedication to the goddess, he walled outside, and some African granite columns. The main architectural design is markedly Romanesque, despite some amendments.
The metropolitan cathedral dedicated to St. Peter, located in Via Independence, was built in the seventeenth century on the ruins of early Christian building. Other important city churches are St. Giacomo Maggiore (1263), in Gothic style with elegant Renaissance portico; the Basilica of Santa Maria dei Servi (built between the fourteenth and sixteenth century), with a Majesty Cimabue and an impressive portico; Santa Maria della Vita (the church of the first hospital of Bologna, founded in 1260), in which lie the precious pottery of Weeping Marie, known as Lamentation and produced by Nicholas Ark between 1463 and 1490.
On the Colle della Guardia, in the southwest of the historical center, there is the characteristic sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca (1765), reached by a long and colonnaded road suggestive of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries (the longest in the world, well 3.796 km and equipped with 666 arches).